Tips For National Home Security Month
With the ever increasing pressures of day to day life home security is overlooked. National Home Security Month (NHSM) is designed to create awareness of the importance of home security. With the clocks changing and darker nights approaching, burglaries go up.
We at Seymour Locksmiths believe in preventative measures, here are some simple steps to ensure your home is secure. Doors are the main route of entry and exit for most buglers, it’s vital to make sure your doors are fully secure.
Front Door Tips
- The door lock should be a five lever Mortice Dead Lock. These are much harder to break into for the opportunist burglar.
- The door frame should be strong and able to hold the weight of the door, hinges and the lock.
- Make sure the door itself is a minimum of 45mm thick.
- Letter boxes should have an internal cover.
- Consider fitting a spy hole, knowing whose knocking always helps.
- And finally, don’t leave any keys within reach as they can be removed through the letterbox.
Back Door Tips
- The door should be fitted with a five lever two bolt mortice sash lock with a handle for your connivance.
- The mortice sash lock can be supplemented by adding surface mounted locking bolts to the top and bottom of the door.
- Always remember to close and lock your windows, if you’re going out only for a short while still close and lock your windows.
- Make sure that all window locks are working and do not leave the key in any lock, you’ll be surprised at the amount of people that do this.
- Avoid leaving valuables in view of windows.
- Lighting up your home is a great deterrent, if you have no outside front light and rear house light then consider having them fitted. If you do have them already, do they work?
- Taking these simple steps will prevent the opportunist burglar, giving you peace of mind for you and your family.